Edward II: Tableau III: Plaint
Edward II, an operatic drama, music composed by ASP artistic director, David Edgar Walther, based on the play and poems by Christopher Marlowe, was recorded by Mike Burke at John Weston's Futura Studio in Roslindale, MA. The following is the Third Tableau:
16. DARK FOREST: Gaveston enters the forest, unaware that Mortimer is stalking him. Thomas B. Dawkins, Bassoon and Leah Kosch, Piano. This instrumental number presents main theme of Tableau III. First posted on 7/5/14.
17. JEALOUSY: Mortimer's hatred for Gaveston knows no bounds. Gaveston is not noble and yet the king has given him titles, lands and gifts reserved for the aristocracy. Christopher Aaron Smith, Tenor; Christian Contreras, Clarinet and Russell Southcott, Guitar. First posted on 7/12/14.
18. GAVESTON'S PRAYER: Pursued by Mortimer, Gaveston prays for his life. Michael Belle, Tenor; Sam Ou, 'Cello, and Leah Kosch, Piano. This number restates the main theme of the Tableau. First posted on 7/19/14.
19. MURDER: Gaveston is murdered by Mortimer. Christopher Aaron Smith, Tenor; Carol Millard, Flute; Christian Contreras, Tenor Saxophone, Thomas B. Dawkins, English Horn and Bassoon, and Leah Kosch, Piano. First posted on 7/26/14.
20. GAVESTON'S DEATH: Gaveston reflects on his life and sends his regards to Edward as he dies. Michael Belle, Tenor; Russell Southcott, Guitar; and Leah Kosch, Piano. First posted on 8/2/14.
21. MOURNING: Edward II is told by his son, Edward III, of Gaveston's death. Brett Johnson, Lyric Baritone; David Walther, Bass and Leah Kosch, Piano. First posted on 8/10/14.
22. DARK FOREST: The main theme of the Third Tableau is restated as we exit the haunted woods and Tableau III concludes. Thomas B. Dawkins, Bassoon; and Leah Kosch, Piano. First Posted on 8/12/14.